In 1993, the OHA established an award to recognize a published book that uses oral history to make a significant contribution to contemporary scholarship; and/or significantly advances understanding of important theoretical issues in oral history; and/or is an outstanding example of sound oral history methodology. It is the expectation that oral history be a central part of the nominated publication.
The award, which is honorific, is presented annually and will be awarded at the OHA’s 2024 annual meeting. Winners receive an award plaque, one-year memberships in the OHA, and complimentary registration to the annual meeting.
The OHA welcomes entries that represent the work of academic scholars, public historians, independent professionals, and community-based groups and individuals. Entries are welcome from around the world but must be in English. Submissions are now open!
Submissions are evaluated according to the following criteria:
- Contribution to socio/historical inquiry
- Contribution to the practice of oral history
- Adherence to sound methodology in the conduct of interviews, including the deposit of completed interviews in a public repository for subsequent use and reinterpretation, where appropriate
- Skillfulness and originality of presentation
The award may be granted to a publication that, at least in part, derives its significance from germinal work done previously by the author(s). Works published between January 1 to December 31 of the previous year are eligible for consideration.
- Upload the nomination letter that assesses the work’s adherence to the criteria using the submission form (Please make sure the title of each document includes the author’s last name).
- Send one copy of the book to each committee member; addresses will be provided upon submission of form.
Submissions may come from the book’s author, publisher, or from another individual. Publishers may submit a maximum of three books. If the cost of submitting application materials places undue financial burden on the applicant, please contact the committee chair. Additional questions may be directed to the committee chair.
Committee chair: Leyla Vural, firstname.lastname@example.org, 2022-2025
Jeff Corrigan, 2023-2024
Mary Rizzo, 2023-2026
The submission form is now open! The submission deadline is April 1, 2024.